What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

cannot get all sensor info through auto-discovery

Votes:

Hi, i am trying to do auto discovery on one of my DMZ server and i only able to get icmp, http, smtp, pop3 and rdp sensor. there is a Pix and CheckPoint firewall in between them and i have already open all the ports for the communication between the DMZ server and my PRTG core server. what port/protocol that i need to permit at Pix firewall to get information from all the sensors that are available by default on the DMZ server? i.e memory, cpu usage...

auto-discovery firewall port

Created on Nov 22, 2012 3:16:14 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
the monitoring should work via SNMP which has normally to be enabled first on the firewall. After that you may download the MIB files for your device which are provided by the vendor and import them for usage in PRTG with the MIB Importer.
Now you should be able to monitor your FW by using the SNMP Library Sensor.
Best regards

Created on Nov 22, 2012 7:26:13 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

the device that i want to monitor is the DMZ server, not the firewall. i need to know the port/protocol that i need to permit/allow at pix firewall side in order for the PRTG core server to reach DMZ server and grab all the sensor information.

Created on Nov 22, 2012 7:33:36 AM

Votes:

Hi,
sorry for getting that wrong. In this case the most easy way would be installing a remote probe to the server in the DMZ.
With this solution you only would have to open TCP Port 23560 (bidirectional) in your firewall as this is the port the remote probe uses to communicate withe the core.
All further monitoring would then be done directly on the mentioned server via the remote probe.
Best regards

Created on Nov 22, 2012 7:39:17 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.