What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG on a IBM Server X3100 M4 run fans at full speed

Votes:

Hi, I just installed PRTG on Windows SBS 2011 Essential, on a IBM server model X3100 M4.

Just after the local probe start, the fans of the IBM server goes to full speed. They are really loud. The CPU usage ir minimal, stays at 0% so I think it may be a problem with the probe that is checking the IBM hardware sensors.

What can I do to solve this problem?

BTW, shuttting down PRTG solve the problem in a few minutes.

ibm sbs2011 x3100

Created on Nov 26, 2012 7:54:24 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

which sensors do you then have scanning the "Local Probe"? What happens if you pause those? Or pause all sensors?

best regards.

Created on Nov 27, 2012 1:35:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please try to pause both the "PRTG Server Service" and "PRTG Probe Service", just one of them, for 2-3 minutes. Which one of the two causes the fan to run faster?

Both PRTG server and PRTG probe are quite active and even though you may not see too much CPU load in Task Manager the CPU can already get warmer just by this activity, especially when you have more than a handful of sensors.

Created on Nov 28, 2012 8:00:42 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.