What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I add log tables to my PRTG maps?

Votes:

I use the Maps Editor (Designer) to create a map. I want to add an object which contains a log table. How can I create a map object of the log table such that I can add it to my map?

log-tables maps maps-editor prtg

Created on Nov 27, 2012 1:30:19 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Adding Log Tables to Maps

Per default, the map object of a log table is not a part of the PRTG installation. The reason for this is that for every time the table is shown it has to access the hard disk. This way a lot of CPU is cycled and many hard disk IO is needed. This can lead to performance problems within big installations with many accesses to the map.

However, adding a log table to PRTG maps can be done manually. The map object is a HTML file that you have to copy to the correct sub folder of the PRTG installation.

Important: The following changes to the Maps system are not officially supported. Following the steps below can lead to considerable performance impact on your PRTG core server!

Steps to Go

Please go through the following steps on the computer where PRTG is installed:

1. Locate the HTML file of the log table
  2. Open a text editor
  3. Copy the text of the HTML file to the editor and save as "table_log.htm"
  4. In the PRTG program directory (see How and where does PRTG store its data?), go to the "\webroot\mapobjects" sub folder
  5. Create a new text file and name it table_log.htm.
  6. Open your new text file and paste in the following content:
<!--Data Tables: Log Table-->

<div class="map_object map_table" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:auto;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
<#checkobjecttype objecttype="probenode,group,device" nicemessage="true"  id="<@objectid>">

<#objectproperty name="Name" id="<@objectid>" var="tabletitle">
<#table tableid="messagetable" 
	content="messages" 
	id="<@objectid>"
	columns="datetime,parent,type,name,status,message" 
	sortby="date" 
	infoheader="false"
	links="false"
	sortable="false"
	filter_drel="7days"
	varexpand="tabletitle"
	tabletitle="Log for @tabletitle">

<#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

Back in PRTG's Maps Editor, you will find the map object of the log table on the right hand under the point Data Tables as the entry Log Table.

Adding a log table to the map Zoom

Created on Nov 27, 2012 1:32:35 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 5, 2014 5:00:07 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.