What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Server 2012 - Event error

Votes:

Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2012 Standard installed on VMware ESXI 5.1.

After installing PRTG, the server manager dashboard shows a warning in manageability: Online - Data retrieval failures occurred.

The notification is: Configuration refresh message: The system cannot access one or more even logs because of insufficient access rights, file corruption, or other reasons. For more information, see the Operation channel in the ServerManager-ManagementProvider error log on the target server.

The event viewer shows an Event 85: Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/FileServices:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks

Christophe

P.S. I was able repro the problem on another installation of Windows Server 2012 so this issue is not random.

event-error prtg windows-server-2012

Created on Dec 5, 2012 3:41:44 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

We are working on a fix for this issue, please bear with us.

Created on Dec 5, 2012 5:51:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I have the same issue with Windows 2012 R2. Is it still not resolved?

Thanks Massimo

Created on Dec 17, 2014 3:29:06 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much for using PRTG. Did you migrate an old installation of PRTG to this machine? The issue should be fixed already (it was fixed in December 2012).

Please try to delete the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\EventLog\PRTG Network Monitor

Does the Server Manager then go to green again?

Created on Dec 18, 2014 9:42:57 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you very much. Yes, I migrate an old installation of PRTG to this machine, I have done what you suggested to me and it seems to works fine. But after the restart of the server the issue is still present.

Our current version of PRTG is V9.2.0.2236.

Thank you

Massimo

Created on Dec 18, 2014 2:09:58 PM

Last change on Dec 18, 2014 4:37:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please update your PRTG. The issue will then be fixed.

Created on Dec 18, 2014 4:38:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I have updated PRTG to version 12.4.6.3230 (the last one my maintenance contract let me install) but the issue is still present.

Thank you Regards Massimo

Created on Dec 31, 2014 11:12:28 AM

Votes:

Well that version is over two years old and was released November 20th in 2012. The bug was fixed about a month later. You might need to get a new maintenance for your PRTG in order to update to this version. Please write to our sales department about it and they will get in contact with you soon :)

Created on Jan 1, 2015 12:25:33 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.