After an update to PRTG version 13.2.3, all customizations to the web interface are lost. What has happened?
This article applies as of PRTG 21
New PRTG web interfaces
With the new web interfaces for PRTG, we introduce a new state-of-the-art web interface. As a single-page application, PRTG is now much faster and easier to use. To achieve this, we did a complete rewrite of our web front-end.
Did you customize the web interface?
There is a small percentage of our users that have re-branded and/or customized the web interface or report templates. You belong to this group if you have made one of the following adaptations to the web interface:
- Added own CSS styles
- Added custom images
- Changed the appearance of the login screen
- Permanently removed the help box
- Followed instructions of the Website Styling tab of the PRTG API documentation
- Added custom objects for PRTG Maps
- Altered any files in the website folder of the PRTG program directory
- Altered the report template .htm files in the reporttemplates subfolder of the website folder of the PRTG program directory
If you use bookmarks with direct URLs to subpages of the web interface that contain additional filter parameters to show customized lists of monitoring objects, these links may be affected as well.
All of these adaptations to our standard system are easy to implement and easy to use, yet not officially supported. However, we always include a warning to all instructions regarding these adaptations to emphasize that we cannot guarantee that any adaptations will be valid for future versions of PRTG.
With the complete web interface rewrite, we have now reached the (rare) situation that we cannot support existing user customizations anymore.
After you have installed PRTG 13.2.3 or later, all existing adaptations (as outlined above) will be disabled and must be revised.
Adaptations that are not affected
If you made one of the following adaptations, they will also remain active with the new web interface:
- Custom device templates for auto-discovery
Steps to take
As of PRTG 13.2.3, we do not use the website folder of the PRTG program directory anymore. Instead, there is a new folder named webroot that now contains all files for the web interface.
- Locate your customizations in the deprecated website folder.
You may find a way for a similar customization that can be applied to the files in the current webroot folder.
- In your PRTG installation, select Setup | PRTG API from the main menu. Find instructions on the Website Styling tab.
- If you use bookmarks with direct URLs, check them. Maybe you need to change some parameters. Some parameters may work differently or may not be available anymore.
The data API has not changed
We have not significantly changed the backend on the PRTG core server side. Existing applications or scripts that query data with the PRTG API will not be affected.