What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cluster Setting

Votes:

Hello, Is it possible to use the cluster feature to keep a server synced with the master and set it to only change to active once the master fails?

If not, what is the best way to back-up the prtg server for a scenario of a server-down?

Thanks!

backup clustering prtg

Created on Dec 17, 2012 7:32:12 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

All licenses (except Corporate) cannot be used in several installations (only if you are running a cluster). So with two servers not building a cluster, it is not allowed to use the same license.

Created on Dec 19, 2012 1:35:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

a PRTG Cluster is always active-active. This cannot be changed. To backup PRTGs data and configuration, please see: How do I backup all data and configuration of my PRTG installation?

best regards.

Created on Dec 17, 2012 1:50:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your replay. Saying that, I've decided to have a second server operate as a cold backup which will be manually operated in case of the original becoming offline.

Can I install the software on the second server and use the same license? If not, can i install it and re-enter a license key after the installation?

Thanks!

Created on Dec 19, 2012 1:24:57 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

All licenses (except Corporate) cannot be used in several installations (only if you are running a cluster). So with two servers not building a cluster, it is not allowed to use the same license.

Created on Dec 19, 2012 1:35:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.