What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sending SMS via BulkSMS

Votes:

Hi there

I am quite new to PRTG, so forgive what could be a very basic question, but I need some guidance please with setting up PRTG to send SMS alerts via BulkSMS.

I have an account with BulkSMS (and credit with them) and I have put my username and password in the System/Notification Delivery section in PRTG. I have selected the BulkSMS option from the provided list of carriers but am not sure what to do from there.

I have a group setup in BulkSMS that need to receive the alerts - and have been told that the API URL I need to provide is this:

http://bulksms.vsms.net:5567/eapi/submission/send_sms/2/2.0?username=******&password=******&message=Message+Text+Here&dest_group_id=123456.

The rouble is I am stuck as to where to go from here.

If anyone has an idiot's guide on the steps required to get this working I would be hugely grateful.

Many thanks.

prtg sms sms-notification

Created on Dec 17, 2012 1:44:48 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

to send a SMS with groups predefined in BulkSMS you will have to use the custom URL option for SMS in Setup | Notification Delivery.

• When filling in, please replace the message parameter with %SMSTEXT and the dest_group_id with %SMSNUMBER which finally would result in a URL looking like this:http://bulksms.vsms.net:5567/eapi/submission/send_sms/2/2.0?username=******&password=******&message=%SMSTEXT&dest_group_id=%SMSNUMBER
  • Now just save this settings and go to Setup | Notifications , add a new Notification and choose Send SMS/Pager Message.
  • As Recipient Number use the group id you got from BulkSMS.
  • Now save the notification and use the Test button for this notification in the notification overview.
  • Once the notification is working it can be used like any other notification.
    Best regards

Created on Dec 17, 2012 2:19:27 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 17, 2012 2:24:56 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi

Thanks for that - the test SMS system is working well for me.

The only issue I have now is that I have 64 existing PING sensors to configure for SMS alerts. They already notify via email, but I need to add SMS alerting to them. Is there a way I can do this centrally? We have many other (>500) sensors on the system that are configured to notify via email only, and they must stay that way, but I do need PING to do both.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Created on Dec 17, 2012 3:42:48 PM

Votes:

Hi,
when you have running the most recent version of PRTG there is the possibility to create a Library and then set the notifications based on the same on tab Notifications. All notifications created in a Library will be adapted to all sensors contained in the library.
Best regards

Created on Dec 18, 2012 7:26:04 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 18, 2012 7:26:26 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.