What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I want to monitor a folder for new files

Votes:

I have setup a WMI folder sensor to monitor a folder. I want the sensor to go into an error state if no new files have been created in the last 12 hours. How can I accomplish this?

If I click on Channels, choose newest file, then enable limit. I will not let me put in 12 hours, it wants a "valid number". If I put in 12 it will error if the file is more than 12 seconds old.

file-age folder folder-sensor prtg wmi

Created on May 10, 2010 11:53:46 PM

Last change on May 26, 2010 1:51:22 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The values used are based on seconds. In order to define 12 hours, you would need to enter the respective value, i.e. 43200 (12 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds).

Created on May 11, 2010 8:42:22 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

How do you create a WMI Folder sensor? It doesnt appear in my list of available sensors? The File Server \ foldersensor doesnt have an option to go into error state in no new files are created in a certain time period (e.g. in the last 12 hours). The folder contains many files aging from new to months in age.

Created on Nov 24, 2010 11:49:09 PM

Votes:

please take a look at

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg8/folder_sensor.htm

In the sensor go to the channels tab, select the channel you need and enable limits, then make your settings

Created on Nov 25, 2010 6:07:16 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Nekro thread, rise from the dead ;-)

Tried this one, but I have an issue. Is this only working with SMB Shares? When I put $d\Folder\Subfolder in the "Foldername" I get a "Folder not found" error. But I am sure it exists and was written correctly (copy/paste from Windows Explorer window).

Please advise.

Created on Aug 3, 2017 10:54:19 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please try to use "D$\Folder\Subfolder" instead. "$D" won't work by default.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 4, 2017 12:02:04 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

My bad, I had (of course) d$. This was a typo in my post. Anyway, I figured it out, there was an issue with the path that I was unable to see first.

Q: Is there a way to use this for FTP as well? Your FTPFileTime.exe I am using is all nice and well, though I would prefer a straight forward approach. Mainly because I need the number and age of the files, which the Folder Sensor does so well in one bit. For FTP I have to make em two.

Created on Aug 8, 2017 7:29:13 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Great that you were able to figure it out. :)

Unfortunately, there is no sensor similar to the "Folder" Sensor for FTP-Servers. There are also currently no plans to implement such a sensor, sorry.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 8, 2017 11:11:18 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.