What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Bandwidth

Votes:

I'm new to PRTG and have taken on an existing setup. Our equipment has been discovered ok but PRTG only seems to be a PING Sensor being used with each router. How easy is it to add a Bandwidth monitoring sensor for a specific port, to see how much usage the link has? I tried to right click, add sensor. I clicked Monitor Traffic/Bandwidth, but it then says Target System Type. I can't see any option for Router/Switches. Only says Windows, File server etc.. I guess I'm doing this wrong. Basically all I want to do is check link usage on a specific port on a router.

Thanks

bandwidth-monitor network-bandwidth prtg

Created on Dec 20, 2012 1:44:12 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
do you have tried adding a SNMP Traffic Sensor to one of the routers?
Please note that it might be necessary to adjust the SNMP settings in the device settings in PRTG.
Best regards

Created on Dec 20, 2012 2:41:39 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, When you say have I tried adding SNMP Traffic Sensor to one of the routers, is this done via PRTG itself? When i go to Add Sensor and it says target system type, what does this mean? Is this the system I am running PRTG on or the system it thinks I want to monitor bandwidth on? All I want to do is monitor bandwidth usage of a router port

Created on Dec 20, 2012 3:25:52 PM

Votes:

Hi,
a SNMP Traffic Sensor has to be added in PRTG. When you are on the overview page of all sensor types use the Search field an type "snmp traffic". Now you should see the SNMP Traffic Sensor.
Additional the Target System refers to the device you want to monitor but you may also just use the search box to search for sensors.
Furthermore you will have to make sure SNMP is enabled on your router,
Best regards

Created on Dec 20, 2012 3:54:34 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I think i got it, but when trying to add I got the following -

No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the issue is on the router end. The only sensor running on it at the moment is the Ping.

Created on Dec 20, 2012 4:24:11 PM

Votes:

Hi,
the received error message indicates that the router does not respond to SNMP requests. To test this, please download the SNMP Tester and scan for Uptime and Available Standard Interfaces. Do you get back anything except the mentioned error message?
You might furthermore consult the manual of your routers on how to enable SNMP.
Best regards

Created on Dec 21, 2012 7:10:12 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for that. I assume I have to leave the port number value as default, e.g 161?

I tried both, read device uptime and scan available interfaces but each came back with nothing. I tried SNMP V1 and V2. This is a provider owned router on our premises, which I have no access to the config. I guess it looks like I will need to contact them to see if SNMP is running and what the string is. Is this all I will need?

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help.

Created on Dec 21, 2012 8:39:29 AM

Votes:

Hi,
yes, port 161 is the default port unless someone configured it different. If it is possible, you will need the following information from your provider:

• SNMP Community String
  • SNMP Version
  • SNMP Port Then you should be able to test with the SNMP Tester and add sensors in PRTG as well.
    Best regards

Created on Dec 21, 2012 8:45:22 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.