What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Factory to Warning state

Votes:

I'm trying to set a Sensor Factory sensor to Warning, if 1 or more of the defined channels are in an Error state.

The Error Handling part below the Channel definition gives me an option to set the sensor factory sensor to warning state if 1 or more of the source sensors are in an error state (2nd option), but that doesn't work.

Here's my channel definitions:

1. 1:Server 1 - Tomcat channel(3841,0)
  2. 2:Server 2 - Tomcat channel(3843,0)
  3. 3:Jobspooler channel(3839,0)
  4. 4:Druckspooler channel(3840,0)
  5. 5:Datenbank channel(3842,0)
  6. 6:Datenbank Prozessor channel(3848,0)

I've manually set the 1st channel's sensor to an error state by altering the limits, but the sensor factory sensor still is in OK state. Do I have to use the custom Formula and set it to Error state, even though there is this Error Handling option, or is there anything wrong with my channel definitions?

error-handling prtg sensor-factory warning

Created on Dec 21, 2012 10:52:41 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

we can not reproduce the error. How long did you wait.

Please try to set one of the sensors you are using to "simulate error state"

right click on sensor and select "Simulate Error Status"

does the state of the sensor factory sensor change then?

Created on Dec 21, 2012 12:17:29 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've found a solution on my own. I just set the same limits for each respective channel in the sensor factory sensor to the ones I set in the source sensors (The source sensors are all snmp library sensors with a single value).

I've also tested what you suggested and that works too (sets the sensor factory to warning). There seems to be a difference in how an error state by limit and an actual error are handled.

Created on Dec 21, 2012 12:27:42 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.