What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

i have some issue with the ping sensor, i'm getting down time even that i'm sure my device was up at

Votes:

i hope if you can make it clear form me, from where i'm getting the downtime, add to that the ping still getting ping time which mean there was response from the device, it shows 6ms???

downtimeketiesmi-mands ping prtg

Created on Jan 2, 2013 4:37:18 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

can you maybe please upload some screenshots that illustrate the issue?

best regards.

Created on Jan 3, 2013 10:30:29 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i got downtime on ping sensor 23% and 8%, even that still the ping sensor reported response time as 6ms, our configuration is one ping every 30s, from my side am sure that there was no outage and my switch was up, so from where i'm getting the downtime? add to that i have some sensor where there is nothing is defined as downtime...(RSSI for wireless device- when link is down rssi is -90 dbm), also here some times am getting downtime, i dont know if the reason could be the failure of the sensor itself??? if this is the case how i can distinguish between the sensor failure and the device failure???

Created on Jan 3, 2013 4:36:04 PM

Votes:

Created on Jan 3, 2013 4:41:03 PM

Votes:

This short spike in Downtime in the screenshot could simply have been caused by a lost ping packet which can happen. You can try checking the "Historic Data" (on the very tab) around the time of the downtime spike, but with RAW-Values, so no averages. You should then see how long the Downtime was, and when exactly. Then check the "Log"-Tab of the sensor, for this time&date for the exact error message. A good way to avoid such an impact of one lost ping-packet is to set the Ping Sensor to use a ping count of maybe 5 or 10.

Created on Jan 3, 2013 6:03:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.