What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Discovery using multiple SNMP credentials?

Votes:

Is it possible to run auto discovery on a network segment and use multiple SNMP credentials? For example, our network printers use different SNMP credentials than our Cisco network equipment.

Right now I run autodiscovery with one set of credentials then go back and manually set the credentials on the printers.

auto-discovery network snmp

Created on Jan 4, 2013 3:23:54 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this is not possible at the moment, sorry.

Created on Jan 6, 2013 4:32:23 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You could create a new group for Network Printers, modify the SNMP credentials for this group by breaking inheritance, then run auto-discover out of this group.

Created on Jan 7, 2013 6:43:07 PM

Votes:

Hello,

creating different groups where each is using a different SNMP community string is of course possible.

What is not possible to create a group that uses two or more SNMP Community strings and then run an auto discovery.

Created on Jan 8, 2013 8:24:17 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When is the ability to auto-discover with multiple SNMP community strings going to be added? WhatsUp has had this capability for years. (Unfortunately, we didn't realise that PRTG didn't when we decided to review our monitoring system, otherwise we may have gone with WUG instead.)

Created on Mar 18, 2015 1:48:01 AM

Votes:

Hello,

we do understand that this is an important feature to you, but the overall demand from our users for this is almost not existing.

Therefore the priority to put time into this is very, very low.

It is unlikely that this will be available any time soon, sorry.

Created on Mar 19, 2015 10:54:53 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the prompt response ... disappointing, esp. as it should be very easy (and quick) to implement, probably only take a few minutes to code.

Created on Mar 20, 2015 2:29:43 AM

Votes:

Hi,

unfortunately it is not that easy.

Created on Mar 23, 2015 11:44:45 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We would like the product to allow multiple unique community names. PCI-DSS requires multiple unique credentials. The community string equals a password for v1 and v2. I would guess there is more need for multiple community names.

Created on Sep 16, 2016 2:05:11 PM

Votes:

You'll have to use multiple groups configured with different credentials / communities. No way around that, sorry.

Created on Sep 19, 2016 11:07:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In my many years of using PRTG I have discovered several basic features most other network monitoring programs have that's missing from PRTG and this is one of them. Discovery isn't something that PRTG is good at, as in it's not very versatile.

Scanning a subnet with multiple SNMP community strings should be part of basic monitoring. There also should be an option to only add devices being discovered that has one or more specified SNMP community strings configured.

I've gotten the same response before like, "Well we add features based off of requests and including yours we only have 1".

Might I suggest you add features based on a different and more strategic plan.

Created on Feb 22, 2018 6:54:07 PM

Votes:

Hi Will,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the matter. Just to put another light on it, as in why we probably won't implement a feature like that:

1. Most of our customers (existing and new) don't ask for that feature.
  2. Using multiple credentials (assume you have ten sets) will potentially prolong the autodiscovery, whereas we thrive to make this as quick as possible without hammering the target device.
  3. As of today, we have five credential sets within each group you can define. Adding multiple sets of those credentials will most likely just clutter the interface of PRTG, which we're not a fan of.

Rest assured that I get you here - feature requests one might consider very useful getting turned down can sure be frustrating. However, if we'd implement every feature request we get, we sure won't be doing anything else. However, we are currently evaluating other options of gathering and evaluating feature requests, but I don't know the outcome of that yet.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 23, 2018 7:52:34 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.