What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

wmi - class not specified

Votes:

After an autodiscovery of a windows server, a handful of sensors are reporting "wmi - class not specified".

What is this error?

auto-discovery prtg wmi

Created on Jan 4, 2013 10:51:01 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Could you please elucidate? What precise WMI sensors are returning this message? What Windows are you running on the PRTG server and what Windows is running on the target machine(s)? Are there any relevant entries in the auto-discovery log file?

Created on Jan 7, 2013 4:05:38 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I can elucidate on my problem. I created a new auto discovery group to implement template based devices, while still keeping the older groups active/not paused or deleted. Basically both groups/devices have the same type of WMI sensors but the new template based auto discovery group's WMI sensors are showing "Class not specified". While the same exact WMI sensor on the same device in the old group is still showing up. I did not want to delete the devices from the previous, non auto discovery group until I can get the WMI problem on the devices in the new group resolved.

Created on Feb 27, 2013 11:06:25 PM

Votes:

Do the sensors in case have a "Write to disk" option within the sensor settings? If so, could you please turn that on and forward us the results to [email protected], refering to this knowledge base thread?

Created on Mar 4, 2013 12:55:04 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hello Patrick,

Looking under settings I do not see an option to write to disk. Could you tell me one that does have it and I will see if it has the same issue. If so I can collect the data for you. Thank you.

-Justin

Created on Mar 4, 2013 5:35:37 PM

Votes:

Please forward us an email to [email protected] refering to this thread. Please let us know what precise WMI sensor types are showing this issue.

Created on Mar 6, 2013 9:43:27 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hello Patrick,

I think I found the problem. The WMI sensors in the template were created with a previous version of PRTG, which version I am not quite sure. Once I removed them and added sensors from the current version the problem disappeared. One example sensor would be the "SMTP Server: Local Queue Length SMTP" (Exchange 2003) sensor. The template contained that sensor but it was labeled "SMTP Server/Local Queue Length SMTP". Notice the slash after SMTP Server. When that sensor was added manually it did not have a slash, it contains a colon in it's place. As I stated earlier both sensors are now working as expected. For reference the other sensor was MSExchangeIS\RPC Requests (Exchange 2003). As you can see it contains the slash, while the new sensor has a colon. Thank you.

Created on Mar 7, 2013 9:16:45 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.