What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Reports - modify and value meanings?

Votes:

Hi,

We have our PRTG server monitoring the "Total Pages Printed" value of our printers. This is being done using SNMP.

We then have a report that is generated that includes all of the "Total Pages Printed" sensors for each printer. The report works, but we don't understand some of the values. For instances this value appears:

Average (Pages Printed): <some number here>

Out of curiosity, what is this value supposed to represent? The numbers that are displayed on our report do not make sense if this is supposed to be an average.

Our report is set to display the metrics from the first of the month until the end of the month. Is it possible to show the difference between those two values in the report? I haven't been able to find anything that would indicate that we can add a value such as this.

Thank you

printer reports snmp

Created on Jan 7, 2013 3:37:51 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid having such a sensor in 'gauge'-type and then doing a report on it, is indeed a bit tricky. Of course you probably want to know how many pages a printer has printed in its lifetime so far, so you need the sensor as 'gauge'. But for a report to show how many pages have been printed in December, it would actually be good to have the sensor also as 'delta'-type, then the report will show you a certain 'speed' (pages per minute for example) and a total volume of pages for the report-period.

best regards.

Created on Jan 7, 2013 4:11:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

This is interesting. I hadn't thought of doing it this way! I could setup a second sensor to monitor the same value except put it as a delta and just see what happens.

Thanks for suggesting this. I will setup a test and report back.

Cheers

Created on Jan 7, 2013 4:41:45 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.