What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VM Backup causes sensor timeout

Votes:

We are using vRanger to back up our VMs. During that time, our WMI and Ping sensors trigger and generate spurious alert messages. This is probably because vRanger takes a snapshot of the running VM and backs that up. During the snapshot we suspect services are briefly interrupted.

While I completely respect that this is exactly the sort of thing that PRTG is supposed to detect, it's generating a lot of spurious errors that are causing our users to miss 'real' errors that are hidden amongst all the spurious ones.

My manager would prefer that we do not use a scanning schedule that stops scanning the various machines overnight, in case there is a real error on the affected systems. Is there another way I can deal with this?

Thanks.

alert backup wmi

Created on Jan 8, 2013 10:46:36 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Matthew,

I would recommend working with two triggers and therefore two notifications here. One trigger for the day, and the other trigger with a much longer latency for the night. And then use schedules on the notifications, so that the notification for the "night trigger" is only active during night hours, and the other one vice versa. Would that be an option?

best regards.

Created on Jan 8, 2013 3:39:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.