What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Edit sensors per group

Votes:

Goodmorning,

Iam trying to figgure this out but i cant find it anywhere.

So here is what i want to do:

We have a large ammount of groups and subgroups with devices on the subgroups.

For instance i have 1 group with 8 servers.

All these servers need the same sensors and these sensors all need the same properties(Notification triggers,Channel properties etc.)

Iam wondering if this is posible and if it is how can i do this.

Thanks in advance,

Shara

groups prtg sensor

Created on Jan 11, 2013 8:06:27 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

You could use device templates to add the sensors to all other devices, once you have added the same to a first device.

Created on Jan 11, 2013 9:59:34 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Jan 11, 2013 9:59:52 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

that guide only says how to make a template not how to edit it.

Do u have a guide how to edit add sensors and edit and add the sensor properties to the template?

Created on Jan 11, 2013 11:36:41 AM

Votes:

No, we don't. Editing device templates, although possible, is not really supported. If, however, you add all the relevant sensors to the device and then generate the template, the settings and properties of the sensors in case will be reflected in the generated template.

Created on Jan 11, 2013 12:36:45 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I made a template of one of the devices with all the properties i want to include but when iam letting a other server search with that template the properties dont change to the once i included in the template

Created on Jan 11, 2013 1:25:31 PM

Votes:

What precise properties are you defining / editing in the template? Could you perchance forward us the template in case to [email protected], so that we can have a direct look at it? If so, please refer to this thread for correlation.

Created on Jan 11, 2013 1:27:50 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Well the properties i changed were notification(send mail and sms on going red) and the high % trigger of the sensor for going red.

But those settings are somehow not included in the made template

Created on Jan 11, 2013 1:31:43 PM

Votes:

What type of sensor are we talking about please? Sensors that perform a meta-scan, for example SNMP Traffic sensors, cannot be defined with triggers and notifications, since it is not exactly defined what particular result from the scan should inherit the same.

Created on Jan 11, 2013 6:11:28 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.