What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I prevent PRTG 6 from hanging?

Votes:

I am running PRTG Traffic Grapher V6.2.2.984 on an HP Compaq GL360 server with 1.0 GB of memory. PRTG has two latency sensors and a packet sniffer configured. The server is running Windows Server 2003 and also runs CA Arcserve to perform nightly backups. I am finding that PRTG frequently is unable to stop the PRTG services when I open the application on the server. The splash screen is displayed indicating that the software is "transferring from service". However, an error screen is then displayed indicating that the application was unable to stop the service. The Windows Services management module indicates that the PRTG Service is stopping. The only way to recover is to restart the server. How can this be avoided?

packet-sniffer prtg prtg6 services traffic-grapher

Created on May 12, 2010 4:31:28 PM

Last change on May 26, 2010 1:34:29 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If you use this server for bandwidth intensive tasks like backups, I would recommend not to run a packet sniffer, because each and every byte that you back up through your network connection is also looked at by PRTG.

Sniffing network streams of a saturated 1 Gbit/s or 100 Mbit/s connection can be too much for PRTG 6.

Created on May 13, 2010 12:46:32 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on May 26, 2010 1:33:59 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.