What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device Template not applying notification settings

Votes:

I am testing PRTG before we purchase a license. I have a lot of devices setup within various groups etc. I am now trying to apply Device Template to some of these devices. I have created a new Device Template from a "base" device - one which I have added the required sensors to and notifications etc.

I then apply this template to 8 other servers and perform a new Auto Discovery. The Notifications do not get applied to the 8 servers (the notification is in the original device that I created the template from )

Is this by design ? It appears that once a device has been auto-discovered, it cannot be "re- auto discovered" with a different template ? Surely this is not a good way to approach this - I can imagine many organisations that would need to mas update a group of devices based on some new monitoring criteria ?

devicetemplates discovery notifications

Created on Jan 14, 2013 11:41:44 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

notifications are only written into a device template if the triggers are set on sensors, no on parent the device I'm afraid.
Rediscovering an existing device with a different or changed device template will not change existing sensors. This is intended as we do not want PRTG to automatically change things on existing objects (the user does not know or did not think about). The Mulit-Edit can be used though to quickly change settings on several existing objects at once.

best regards.

Created on Jan 14, 2013 2:53:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, So I have chosen 10 IIS Current Connection (SNMP) sensors from 10 servers (via the All Sensors list). I go to edit them using MultiEdit to add a notification to all of them. I cant - Notifications are not an option in there to edit ? ???

So either :
1.) We make sure we build the initial template absolutely correctly and never want to change it, or
2.) When (inevitably) we decide to monitor an extra senor or add a new notification type we have to do it :
a) manually per sensor across multiple servers, or,
b) create new device template, Pause Indefinitely or Delete the old Devices and Re-Discover them using the new Template.

(1) above is not going to happen ever in a real production environment
(2)-a is not ideal as we end up with loads of "dead" devices that we are keeping purely for historical data purposes
(2)-b is not ideal either. Any Sensor Factory sensors will need to be edited as well as a re-discovery of a device will end up with new Sensor IDs.

Surely this is something that needs to be worked on more ? Production Environments need to be able to mass-add / edit sensors, notifications etc. PRTG provide a great idea in Device Templates but then limit it too much. I understand that you want to protect users from themselves in doing device -rediscoveries, but surely an override option can be added to allow a device be re-discovered against a new template (or modified one) to add sensors/notifications etc. Stick big warnings on that options to tell people that they could end up with stuff they didn't expect - but at least give us the option !

I don't know if this is a show stopper for us. Competing products do this already (NAGIOS Ops View). It may not stop us buying PRTG but it is not helping ! :)

Dec.

Created on Jan 14, 2013 3:14:38 PM

Last change on Jan 14, 2013 4:02:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As mentioned, we do not want device templates to change existing sensors, and do not plan to change this. For those situations, there is the Multi-Edit, or now Libraries where you can easily set notifications for a certain type of sensors with one trigger and then change it quickly again. The Device Templates may not be the ideal place or tool to set triggers on sensors, as there is no Multi-Edit possible on that. There are more efficient ways to do that, with the Libraries, or Triggers set on higher levels and then inherited.

If you want to add one (or more) new sensor(s) to existing device, just create an empty device with only the new sensor(s) in it. Create a device template from this new example-device, and use the new template on the existing devices.
And of course, if it's just a few sensors, you can always add them manually or clone them.

Created on Jan 14, 2013 4:06:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 14, 2013 4:08:04 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.