What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IP addresses showing instead of domain names

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for this great tool. Everything seems working OK for us, but as our router/switch wasn't compatible with netflow I choose to deal with the port mirroring feature, and as I wanted I receive all the data from the LAN to the WAN.

The toplists reports are really nice, but for all the "WAN addresses" instead of having a domain name it only shows me the IP addresses which is not really to deal with as you can imagine. I think it would come from the fact that my machine is not connected to the Internet, so it doesn't resolve the IP addresses.

What could I do to show the domaine names instead of these -ugly- IP addresses ?

Thank you, Nicolas.

dns ip-addresses mirroring port prtg

Created on May 12, 2010 4:55:10 PM

Last change on May 26, 2010 2:01:28 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In this case a machine with two network cards/ports is recommended. One for the mirror port and one for the normal lan/wan connection (accessing the interface, resolving DNS, other monitoring).

Using the Wifi interface as the second port should work. Monitoring over Wifi is not recommended, but for resolving the DNS names it will be ok.

Created on May 17, 2010 9:03:40 AM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

PRTG needs to have a connection to at least a DNS-Server to resolve these WAN-IPs, so in conclusion this DNS-Server needs to be capable of resolving the IPs itself, or it has to be connected to another DNS-Server. Other options are not available.

Best Regards.

Created on May 13, 2010 9:42:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I understand that, but when we don't have a monitoring port you suggest to morror a port to monitor then in this case how could the IP addresses be converted into DNS ones? The computer must have another internet access point then. If the Wifi is enabled on the machine, and PRTG uses the ethernet internet to sniff, would that work ?

Regards, Nicolas.

Created on May 13, 2010 10:10:14 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In this case a machine with two network cards/ports is recommended. One for the mirror port and one for the normal lan/wan connection (accessing the interface, resolving DNS, other monitoring).

Using the Wifi interface as the second port should work. Monitoring over Wifi is not recommended, but for resolving the DNS names it will be ok.

Created on May 17, 2010 9:03:40 AM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.