What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to archive historical information of a sensor?

Votes:

We had a couple of websites shutdown that we know they are not coming back, the sensors for these websites have been paused since we got rid of them. How can i archive the information on those sensors such as the historical data? in case this information is required in the future, and so we can get to use those sensors for something else.

Thanks in advance.

archive historical-data sensor

Created on Jan 14, 2013 10:14:13 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

'archiving' the historic data of such sensors would actually be keeping them manually paused. That way they will not account against your license, and you can always generate a report of their data (as long as it's not purged according to the purging limits).

best regards.

Created on Jan 15, 2013 10:17:48 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If you are saying that the paused sensors do not count against our license, why in the PRTG status when i check the number of sensors used the paused sensors are counted? In this case i have 1900 sensors being used and 20 paused, and the PRTG status shows 1920 sensors. Is that information related to the number of sensors per license? and so there is not other way to archive the information on a sensor?

Thanks.

Created on Jan 15, 2013 2:35:49 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Another way of archiving would be exporting the data to a CSV file. This can be done with the CSVExport tool, allowing you to export the data of a sensor for a given time period.

Regards,

Created on Jan 15, 2013 4:20:37 PM

Votes:

That's just the total number of sensors there, counted all together. It's not the active sensors in terms of the license.

Created on Jan 15, 2013 6:19:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks and is the CSVExport tool secure to use and recommended by Paessler Support?

Created on Jan 15, 2013 7:02:47 PM

Votes:

To be honest, we would recommend to keep the sensors.

Created on Jan 16, 2013 12:51:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know I have asked this question before, but it has been a while since I was wondering if there is a way to archive the sensors besides leaving them paused?, and cvs export.

Any help with this is appreciated since we have several sites that have been decommissioned and we would like to hang on to the historical data without having it on PRTG console.

Thanks.

Created on Dec 27, 2013 9:41:00 PM

Votes:

Sorry, there have been no changes to this. Maybe moving all the decommissioned devices to a group at the bottom of the device tree helps a bit.

Created on Dec 28, 2013 3:01:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.