What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Number of WMI sensors per probe

Votes:

good morning

I wonder if there is any way of knowing how many sensors are configured by type wmi probe.

Currently I have 4 probes (one main and three remote) and I need to know how WMI sensors are configured in each.

thanks

probe sensor wmi

Created on Jan 17, 2013 12:51:28 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
you will need the object Ids of the different probes (normally the local probe has the id 1). Now use the Search function in the upper right.
When the page with the result is shown, just append the following to the URL and hit enter:

&id=PROBE_ID

for the local probe the complete URL will look like this:

http://YOUR_PRTG_INSTALLATION/search.htm?searchtext=wmi&id=1

The number of sensors shown on the result page is the number of WMI sensors configured for the probe with the give ID.
Best regards

Created on Jan 17, 2013 2:13:15 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good morning.

I tried the solution mentioned and I get all WMI sensors probes all I have. Add &id=1 to the search does not work.

thanks

Created on Jan 18, 2013 8:29:35 AM

Votes:

Where did you try adding the &=1? Please do not add it in the search-field, but later after searching only for 'wmi' to the URL in your browser and then hit "Enter" again.

Created on Jan 18, 2013 12:55:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good morning

Yes, after searching for WMI, the resulting URL I have added &id=1

http://myserver:port/search.htm?searchtext=wmi&id=1

The result is all WMI sensors all probes (local and remote).

thanks

Created on Jan 21, 2013 10:45:32 AM

Votes:

I apologize, the 'filter' does indeed not work on the search function sorry. But you can sort the list according to the Probe/Group/Device.

Created on Jan 22, 2013 10:21:32 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has there been any update on this in the last 6 years? We are wondering if this search could be done in the API and monitored, so we could have a sensor that keeps track of WMI sensors per probe. We just moved from 1 probe to 5 since we had nearly 600 WMI sensors (and were thinking that was slowing it down significantly).

Created on Feb 18, 2019 10:08:42 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The approach is still similar. You still need to identify the Probe's (either Local Probe or Remote Probe) object ID. To do so, select the probe that has the affected sensors. The corresponding object ID of the probe can be found on the right side.

Probe Overview
Click here to enlarge

For WMI-based sensors whose performance impact is high, try to stay below 200 sensors per probe.

To review the current configuration of the WMI- and Windows-based sensors of the affected probe, use the following API call: /sensors.htm?columns=probe,device,name,type,interval,checkbox&filter_type=@sub(wmi)&filter_type=@sub(Windows)&sortby=interval&count=*&id=%id_of_probe% Note: Replace %id_of_probe% with the actual Object ID of the affected probe.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 19, 2019 1:38:56 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 19, 2019 1:41:54 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.