What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Restarting core sends alerts

Votes:

When a restart of the core server is required, it sends out alert notifications for active error/warning sensors. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It seems like the server should know that an alert was already sent and a followup is not necessary because of a service restart.

alerts email error notifications prtg

Created on Jan 22, 2013 5:29:24 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm very sorry, but this cannot be disabled or changed.

best regards.

Created on Jan 23, 2013 2:16:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It wouldn't be good if you had hundreds of sensors in a warning or error state that would regenerate new notifications on a restart of the Core Server, is there work being done to track the state of the sensor before a restart or can you submit this as a feature request?

Created on Jan 24, 2013 12:54:11 PM

Votes:

Consider it on the wishlist!

Created on Jan 24, 2013 3:22:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm kicking up a very old question but found this when looking for an answer to exactly the same question. 8 years later, is there an option to prevent this from happening?

Created on Jan 19, 2021 5:37:14 PM

Votes:

Hi Michel,

An option would be to pause all notification templates before you restart the server. After the restart and when all Sensors are back again, you can resume the templates again.

Created on Jan 21, 2021 10:54:47 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Kicking this again. The same issue appears when using a one-time maintenance window. This is really annoying. On top of that, it's not just sensors that are in a down state, but also a down-acknowledged state. I set them to acknowledged to prevent future notifications. Yet, the acknowledged state gets cleared when entering (or leaving) the one-time maintenance window.

I get why this is happening, as the state changes. But this means that a very nice feature (which is the One-Time Maintenance Window) only does my job for 50%. I still have to manually edit notification schedules, and use cumbersome customized schedules because the 'easy-to-click' scheduling only allows for hourly maintenance.

All in all this far from ideal and it seems like such basic functionality. In 2013 Torsten Lindner said it's on the wish list. What's the deal?

Created on Jan 29, 2021 5:30:15 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you also tried to pause the notification templates and not the Senors / devices? Please note that a server restart resets all Sensor states and so all acknowledge Sensors and maintenance windows are deleted since these states are not saved in the PRTG configuration file, instead they are cached. During the restart, all caches are deleted and so the states are also reset. Please note that we currently working on a new API and therefore, no big changes are done in the "old" API. Therefore, I recommend to test the mentioned workaround and then wait for the new API. You can check also our roadmap: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/roadmap

Created on Feb 1, 2021 11:25:28 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz, The problem is that this doesn't fix my acknowledged alarms that get cleared. I see a new API is on the 'looking at' section so this is going to take a long time before we actually get it.

Created on Feb 9, 2021 2:39:37 PM

Votes:

Hi Michel,

There is no native options to do this. The only option would be to write a script which acknowledge the alarms again. However, as mentioned before, the acknowledge status is only cached and therefore deleted after a server restart.

Created on Feb 10, 2021 9:23:47 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Do you know if the acknowledge status is preserved when I run the PRTG server clustered and reboot them one after the other?

Created on Feb 18, 2021 2:45:12 PM

Votes:

Hi Michel,

If you restart both servers one after one and both server receive the data (e.g. Cluster Probe). The acknowledge status is persistent through a restart.

Created on Feb 19, 2021 9:20:08 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.