What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG not receiving traps

Votes:

I am trying to set up a trap receiver and I can see from wireshark on the probe that the trap makes it to the probe, but it never shows up in PRTG.

the device sending the trap is using snmp v1 and is a cisco UCS C-series server. The OID as captured by wireshark is: 1.3.6.1.4.1.3183.1.1.0 this aligns with what the Cisco document settings say the trap IP should be. This is also what is placed into the snmptrap sensor.

Any help would be appreciated.

PRTG version 8.2.0.1898

Thanks,

oid prtg snmptraps

Created on Jan 22, 2013 6:08:58 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

did you already take a look at

https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/143-how-can-i-use-prtgs-trap-receiver-and-what-are-its-limitations

the OID in the sensor needs to be unique! No wild cards are possible.

Created on Jan 23, 2013 7:51:09 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I have read through that document. I understand that there is no support for wildcards and have put in the full OID.

I can see the exact OID from the wireshark trace on the remote probe that is running the snmptrap sensor, but it never registers in PRTG.

Is there any logs that I can look at on the PRTG side that would say it received the trap and rejected it?

Thanks, Phi

Created on Jan 24, 2013 1:46:34 PM

Votes:

Can you please send us a screenshot showing the "Settings"-Tab of the Trap Receiver Sensor and a Wireshark capture file which records a Trap being received on the PRTG Probe host?

Created on Jan 24, 2013 4:20:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.