What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Total traffic per port

Votes:

Hi there I am junior admin and I need help regarding setting right counter in PRTG. We as a company have fiber optics and only 1/3 of total bandwidth is used through network (when measured over speedtest). When I connect direct just with laptop I have full speed of 50Mbps. So I wanted to track down what is using the rest . My idea was to sniff over PRTG each switch and router port and to see amount of MB that is going through and by following port I will find PC that is downloading something more than needed. I installed PRTG and I can see that with GURU wizard some sensors are already added. But how can I measure amount of data in total that went through port ? Please help, I know it may be basics but as I said I ain't guru And last question is, is it overhead to configure default sensors, should I register only 3 switches and nothing more ? Thanks

sensorrtypz snmp-sensor snmp-traffic

Created on Jan 25, 2013 10:39:48 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid there is no simple answer to the question 'who is using how much bandwidth?'. The approach depends completely on the setup and topology of your network as well as the software and hardware used. Please have a look at the following article: https:www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/2923-how-do-i-discern-excessive-bandwidth-usage-with-prtg.
The number of sensors you deploy and what you want to monitor mostly depend on what you'd like to monitor, i.e.e to know in your network, in which granularity you want to do that, and then of course also on the capabilities of the machine running PRTG (in terms of hardware).

best regards.

Created on Jan 25, 2013 2:28:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.