What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensors no longer receiving data after migration

Votes:

I have recently migrated our core PRTG server installation to a new server. Most everything looks good except for some sensors no longer receiving data. This has occurred on many of our SNMP bandwidth sensors and SSH inode sensors for UNIX. I can recreate the sensor and give it the exact same settings and it works perfectly. Doing this removes all of our historical data though so it is not preferable.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? It seems inexplicable due to the fact the I can recreate the sensors no problem.

migration sensors undefined

Created on Jan 30, 2013 8:18:52 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Once there are grey sensors again the next time, or if there still are grey sensors, please go to the "Setup"->"PRTG Status"->"System Status"-Page in PRTG and use the link "Write Probe state file". The state file(s) should be written into the "Logs (System)"-folder, please then send us the content of this folder. Please also forward us a screenshot of the overview page of one grey sensor, a screenshot of the Live graph and live data table of this sensor. And also a screenshot of the "Setup"->"System Status"-Page in PRTG.

You will find the log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)
Vista/2008/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please be aware that it might also be a 'V7' or a 'V8'-folder in which then the "Logs (System)"-folder resides.
Please send us the screenshots via email to [email protected] with a note to this KB-Thread, and the logs as well, or you can also use the option to upload the logs to our FTP-Server, using the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the tab "Logs" in the "PRTG Server Admin Tool".

Created on Feb 13, 2013 4:54:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this might be just a caching issue. Please try the following:

• Stop both PRTG services (core and probe).
  • Head to your data folder (can be discerned from the Server Administrator tool, under the "Core Server" tab)
  • Delete the "PRTG Graph Data Cache.dat" file
  • Restart the PRTG services

Do the sensors then start working?

best regards.

Created on Jan 31, 2013 2:17:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the response Torsten. Will these remove all the data from my sensor graphs?

Created on Feb 6, 2013 11:17:22 PM

Votes:

Historic Data will not be deleted. Only the cache-file for the graphs, and that will immediately be rebuilt when restarting the Core-Service.

Created on Feb 7, 2013 10:39:14 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great, I will be implementing this this Monday along with our upgrade to v13. Will update with results.

Created on Feb 7, 2013 3:24:31 PM

Votes:

This did not work. I still have grayed out sensors that can be recreated no problem. Also if I pauses these grayed sensors, they will not become un-paused and claim to be paused by the parent.

Created on Feb 12, 2013 5:39:29 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Once there are grey sensors again the next time, or if there still are grey sensors, please go to the "Setup"->"PRTG Status"->"System Status"-Page in PRTG and use the link "Write Probe state file". The state file(s) should be written into the "Logs (System)"-folder, please then send us the content of this folder. Please also forward us a screenshot of the overview page of one grey sensor, a screenshot of the Live graph and live data table of this sensor. And also a screenshot of the "Setup"->"System Status"-Page in PRTG.

You will find the log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)
Vista/2008/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please be aware that it might also be a 'V7' or a 'V8'-folder in which then the "Logs (System)"-folder resides.
Please send us the screenshots via email to [email protected] with a note to this KB-Thread, and the logs as well, or you can also use the option to upload the logs to our FTP-Server, using the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the tab "Logs" in the "PRTG Server Admin Tool".

Created on Feb 13, 2013 4:54:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten,

Will do. I will be sending this out to you guys today.

Thank you

Created on Feb 18, 2013 3:58:15 PM

Votes:

Another issues I was having seems to be related to this, I managed to solve using the solution in this KB thread... https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/47663-ssh-disk-free-for-unix-not-updating

Created on Mar 6, 2013 3:33:13 PM

Votes:

Hi all,

I had this issue today after migrating from the Trial Version to the Commercial Version. Not all sensors were greyed out - about half of them in total were greyed out and wouldn't report any data.

I fixed it by Stopping and Starting both the Core and the Probe services. However the Probe service hung during stopping, so I had to kill it via the Windows Task Manager.

After starting both the services again, it worked perfectly.

Thought I'd share this here in case anyone finds it useful

Tom

Created on Jun 16, 2015 9:24:27 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.