What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor each datastores latency

Votes:

Hi, I want to monitor each datastore of my server which got 8 hdds. The current option only shows total latency but I need latency of each HDD separately so i can use trigger if it gets high.

Thanks

datastore monitor seperately

Created on Feb 1, 2013 5:06:12 PM

Last change on Feb 22, 2013 9:07:42 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This issue is on our roadmap and we'll hopefully be able to deliver a new sensor for better datastore monitoring, soon. We're sorry, but we can't tell you how long this will take.

Created on Dec 23, 2013 2:11:28 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

may I ask which exact sensor type you are referring to?

best regards.

Created on Feb 4, 2013 2:38:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hello, did you succeed on this question? we also use vmware host performance sensors and getting only a pointless total read / write latency value is not our goal at all. kind regards

Created on Feb 20, 2013 3:28:57 PM

Votes:

I've checked with the developer and I'm afraid per HDD this this not possible. However, how about monitoring the storage system directly? There are native Netapp-Sensors in PRTG, and other storage systems usually can be monitored with MIBs, that you can import with our MIB-Importer (https://www.paessler.com/tools/mibimporter).

Created on Feb 21, 2013 1:53:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Not yet, I am using sw storage response time monitor already to monitor each HDD. Actually total latency is useless for me.

Created on Feb 21, 2013 1:58:10 PM

Last change on Feb 22, 2013 3:23:28 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Any update on this? I am highly satisfied with my PRTG and this is the only sensor I need for my vmware :)

Created on Dec 21, 2013 9:35:56 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This issue is on our roadmap and we'll hopefully be able to deliver a new sensor for better datastore monitoring, soon. We're sorry, but we can't tell you how long this will take.

Created on Dec 23, 2013 2:11:28 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Thank you, there are some other software for device monitoring such as Vaeem, Solar Winds and Foglight, but I prefer to have this sensor in my PRTG as well.

Actually it is per device hardware monitoring, in Vmware CLI you can run "esxtop" and then hit "d" to see the DAVG (device latency) and KAVG (Kernel latency), it is exactly what I need in the PRTG.

Created on Dec 27, 2013 5:51:57 AM

Votes:

Thank you for those detailed information. We'll see what we can do.

Created on Dec 27, 2013 1:29:11 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.