What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Oracle Connection

Votes:

I am getting the following error message: "Could not connect to database: NET: Invalid SID"

on the PRTG Server i installed Oracle Net and SQLPlus. I use the following tnsnames.ora entry in the file on the PRTG Server:

IJUE_RAC=
  (DESCRIPTION=
    (FAILOVER=yes)
    (LOAD_BALANCE=yes)
    (ADDRESS_LIST=
      (ADDRESS=
        (PROTOCOL=TCP)
        (HOST=172.20.50.1)
        (PORT=1521)
      )
      (ADDRESS=
        (PROTOCOL=TCP)
        (HOST=172.20.50.2)
        (PORT=1521)
      )
      (ADDRESS=
        (PROTOCOL=TCP)
        (HOST=172.20.50.3)
        (PORT=1521)
      )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA=
      (FAILOVER_MODE=
        (TYPE=select)
        (METHOD=basic)
        (RETRIES=10)
        (DELAY=5)
      )
      (SERVER=dedicated)
      (SERVICE_NAME=IJUE.db.logitek.at)
    )
  )

in the sensor i use Service Name IJUE_RAC (also tried IJUE.db.logitek.at) - it just does not work.

thanks for help.

error oracle prtg

Created on Feb 5, 2013 10:08:09 AM

Last change on Feb 5, 2013 5:13:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

For the Oracle Sensor you need to enter the Servicename as specified in the tnsnames.ora on the Oracle Server. Please note that SID and Servicename may be different.

Created on Feb 6, 2013 2:25:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I already found a work-around.

The problem is, that we have an Oracle Real Appication Cluster and therefore we have more than one instance for one service name.

example: on host atlograc01 runs IJUE1 on host atlograc02 runs IJUE2 the service name is IJUE.db.logitek.at

For monitoring i now user IJUE1 - but monitoring will not work, if the atlograc01 is down - database is still working - thanks to rac, but the monitoring with prtg will fail.

How does PRTG connect to the oracle database - obviously not via Oracle Net ?

Created on Feb 6, 2013 2:39:22 PM

Votes:

PRTG connects to Oracle directly via TCP/IP without involving the Oracle Client. I'm not sure about that, but I think the servicename can point to various SIDs dynamically, thus selecting the active cluster automatically. I think it should work choosing "IJUE.db.logitek.at" as servicename to connect a PRTG Sensor to Oracle.

Created on Feb 7, 2013 1:51:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.