What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Automatic Sensor Name

Votes:

Is there a way I can stop PRTG from adding a number to new sensor names? I'm going through and removing them most of the time.

(Alternately, tell me why I should want those.)

name number sensor

Created on Feb 5, 2013 6:24:25 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Currently, it isn't possible not to enumerate the sensors, but you can edit all at the same time by using the "Sensors -> By Type" option, then selecting the sensors in case and editing the same. We are thinking about options here, though. As to why this is so: to differentiate the sensors themselves by name, as otherwise this would not be possible. There are, of course, arguments pro and contra for which is a better nomenclature rule, reason why we are considering our possibilities. Please bear with us.

Created on Feb 5, 2013 6:30:44 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Can I suggest that default name be: <Sensor Type> <Device Name>? At least then, rather having "PING 1, PING 2, PING 3... PING 50" you'd have "PING Server 1, PING Server 2, PING Server 3... PING Server 50", which would be more useful.

Created on Aug 13, 2013 5:04:19 PM

Votes:

@PhilipStratford: Thank you for your suggestion. We will look into this and discuss the same on our next developer meeting.
Best regards

Created on Aug 14, 2013 5:55:30 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'd like that less. The point for me is to remove duplication and unneccesary information so I can quickly see the problem. In almost all contexts I can either see the associated device which assumedly has the name "Server" or I can edit the template such that the device name always precedes the sensor name resulting in "Server Ping 382". Also, for easy recognition, a hierarchy of information is important. Start with Probe name to ID the site the problem is at, the device to narrow it from there and then the sensor to pinpoint the problem. Perhaps "sensor device" is fine on smaller implementations, but we have 30+ probes with nearly 4000 sensors and growing. Keeping track of that means the flexibility of being intentional. I'm still renaming probes all the time to remove the number as at that level of sensors, no one is remembering which ping sensor is number 543.

On small phone screens when we have someone on call, extra info is really obnoxious as it obscures the useful info. Let me KISS it by giving me the flexibility to set this up as I want without numbers and I'll be very grateful. Adding the device name into the sensor name would be counterproductive for my implementation.

Created on Aug 14, 2013 12:47:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.