What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

prtg probe adminstrator cannot start service access denied

Votes:

I am in the process of migrating prtg netmonitor and probe to a new machine. The final step of moving the probe states that I need to copy the GID from the old probe into the new probe.

When i try to stop the probe service on the new machine in probe administrator it says access denied, but I can stop it when i go to network services.

I copy the gid into the section required, then when i click ok it asks to start the service again but the prtg probe adminstrator cannot start service access denied message appears.

I can of course start the service from the network services but i loose the gid I have just entered. I am on the domain as an administrator, i have checked in prtg and I am down as an administrator there as well.

any idea what i am doing wrong?

regards

migration probe prtg

Created on Feb 11, 2013 11:08:40 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

is this for the Local Probe? If so, then there is no need to change the GID, because it does "not matter" for the Local Probe. Otherwise, can you please try a full system reboot?

best regards.

Created on Feb 11, 2013 5:27:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have a mixture of local and remote probes, I have a lot of probes setup and lots of historical data I need to keep. The system has been rebooted several times but has no affect.

Created on Feb 12, 2013 9:30:26 AM

Votes:

Okay, and on which kind of Probe does this happen?

Created on Feb 12, 2013 4:29:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am accutually in the probe administrator trying to transfrer a GID so a particular probe is not selected. I am currently trying to transfer all the probes settings and historical data to a new setup hence the transfer

Created on Feb 14, 2013 3:06:54 PM

Votes:

But this is a Remote Probe or the Local Probe on which you are accessing the Probe Admin Tool?

Created on Feb 14, 2013 5:06:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am accessing it locally on the server which also hosts the prtg noetwork monitor which when accessing using monitor administrator also does not let me stop the process with the same access denied message. So For both services I can stop in the servers services but not via the prtg software

Created on Feb 15, 2013 9:07:45 AM

Votes:

This is very strange. Are you using an domain/local admin to access the server and perform these actions? Does it happen over RDP?

Created on Feb 15, 2013 3:52:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am remote desk topping into a vitrtal server running 2008 with domain admin rights

Created on Feb 15, 2013 4:01:17 PM

Votes:

May you try running the Probe/Server Administrator with local administrator permissions (not as a domain admin). Are you able to stop the services now?

Created on Feb 18, 2013 7:49:14 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello thanks for that

tried logging on as local administrator instead of domain admin and it works fine

regards :)

Created on Feb 25, 2013 3:22:21 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.