What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Probe and Group Organization

Votes:

I've been recently migrating 5 PRTG servers running at each of our remote locations to a single PRTG server with probes at each location talking to a single PRTG Server.

I'd like to be able to have a tree format like the following.

Root >Store 001 (Group)
>>Server @ 001 (Probe)
>>>Group 1
>>>>Device 1
>>>>>Sensors
>>Server 2 @ 001 (Probe)
>Store 002 (Group)
>>Server @ 002 (Probe)
>>>Group2
>>>>Device 2
>>>>>Sensors

From my testing I've only been able to move the Probes around the Root group. Meaning I have multiple probes that belong to a single remote location under a single group. This is causing a lot of duplicate labeling and confusion.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

group organization probe prtg

Created on May 19, 2010 5:48:44 AM

Last change on Jun 2, 2010 7:50:02 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There are no plans to change the current behavior ("probes are nodes of the root group"). We plan to add a way to create "views" onto the data in a future version (though no timing has been set for this feature yet).

Created on May 20, 2010 1:20:36 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

7 Replies

Votes:

Probes are placed directly under the root group. That can not be changed at the moment, sorry.

Simply name the Probes like your different locations.

Created on May 19, 2010 6:59:45 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Are there any plans to allow for better organization in future versions of PRTG?

Created on May 20, 2010 4:58:26 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There are no plans to change the current behavior ("probes are nodes of the root group"). We plan to add a way to create "views" onto the data in a future version (though no timing has been set for this feature yet).

Created on May 20, 2010 1:20:36 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

I would appreciate if you consider a possibility of grouping probes. We have some locations with multiple probes. That cannot be reflected in the tree structure. With your new license policy (congratulations to that) we rather go to make each server its own probe. That makes the use of custom sensors that only work on the local system much easier.

Regards

Created on Oct 7, 2010 2:09:03 PM

Votes:

+1. We have several departments that are looking after things monitored by PRTG. I'd love to do it all from one machine, but I have to use remote probes because of our firewall. I can't punch all sorts of holes into it just because it is a http server here, snmp there. It should be possible to include probes in the tree, not just under the root. In our case for example:

• Root
  • >Production (group)
  • >>Prepress
  • >>Press (group)
  • >>>Press Control (probe in VLAN1)
  • >>>AGV System (probe in VLAN2)
  • >>>>Servers (group)
  • >>>>Vehicles (group)
  • >>>>IOs (group)
  • >>>Register control (probe in VLAN3)
  • >>Postpress
  • >IT (probe in VLAN4)
  • >>Infrastructure
  • >>>Switches
  • >>>Routers

Or dou you have another idea about how to structure PRTG so that IT doesn't get lost in our gazillion production networks?

Created on Mar 21, 2012 3:25:28 AM

Votes:

You could use the Libraries feature introduced in PRTG 9.

Created on Mar 21, 2012 1:24:08 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

+1. We are using many remote probes for very small offices and mobile workstations. We need to be able to organise them in groups under the root.

Created on Aug 3, 2020 4:03:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.