What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I use PRTG with Linux?

Votes:

How can I use my Linux / Unix / MacOS systems in combination with PRTG?

linux probe prtg snmp ssh unix

Created on Feb 21, 2013 2:06:02 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Using Linux/Unix/MacOS with PRTG

There are many different ways how you can use PRTG with your Linux, Unix or MacOS systems.

Monitor Linux / Unix / MacOS Systems

Generally, there are two ways to monitor these systems with PRTG:

• via SNMP
  • via SSH or WBEM

On the target systems, you can monitor parameters like memory, CPU, and disks. For detailed information, please see the following articles.

Target SystemTechnologyArticle
Linux, UnixSNMPHow do I monitor system parameters like memory, CPU and disks on Linux systems via SNMP?
LinuxSNMPMonitoring processes in Linux (using SNMP)
MacOSSNMPHow do I activate SNMP on Mac OS in order to monitor it with PRTG?
Linux, Unix, MacOSSSH, WBEM, SNMPWhich Linux or Mac OS distributions are supported by the Linux/Unix sensors (SSH, SNMP, WBEM)?
Linux, Unix, MacOSSSH, WBEM, SNMPPRTG Manual: List of Linux/Unix/OS X Sensors

Running PRTG on Linux

Currently it is not possible to install PRTG on Linux/Unix systems. In order to run a PRTG core server or a remote probe you need a Windows machine.

However, you can run custom shell scripts on your Linux/Unix system using the SSH Script sensors. They run directly on the target system and can collect and return monitoring data.

Another option is to use the PRTG Mini Probe API to write your own Mini Probe for Linux monitoring. Mini Probes that are implemented appropriately can run directly on Linux systems and deliver the results to your PRTG core server. We provide a proof-of-concept for this concern with the Python Mini Probe.

See Also

Created on Feb 21, 2013 2:30:46 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Sep 1, 2014 4:42:50 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This answer was very useful, but it was so difficult to find it without using google. It should be on the first page. In the linux/macosx only environment this product is useless, and should be clearly defined at the first glance.

Created on Nov 3, 2015 10:54:57 PM

Votes:

Well, only Windows operating systems are listed under PRTG OS requirements :)

Created on Nov 4, 2015 7:46:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.