What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Sensor Cisco Nexus Ports

Votes:

I added a new Cisco Nexus 5000 switch to be monitored and used auto-discovery to create the sensors. It correctly added sensors for all of my ports, but it's numbering the ports with some high number (i.e. 16875520) instead the actual port number (i.e. Eth2/5). Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

cisco ifalias nexus reports

Created on Feb 21, 2013 11:30:32 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We can't say this, I'm afraid. It depends on the configuration of your switch(es). If they use the ifalias or ifdescr, or maybe the ifname. It will be necessary to check that on the target switch(es).

Created on Feb 27, 2013 12:24:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

it should be possible to change the naming of the sensors with changing the so called Port Name Template. Please try this, it unfortunately only works for newly added sensors.

best regards.

Created on Feb 22, 2013 3:24:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But how do I know what to change the port naming to for it to match the actual port numbers of the Nexus switch?

Thanks!

Created on Feb 26, 2013 11:26:18 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We can't say this, I'm afraid. It depends on the configuration of your switch(es). If they use the ifalias or ifdescr, or maybe the ifname. It will be necessary to check that on the target switch(es).

Created on Feb 27, 2013 12:24:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ifDescr was exactly what I needed. I changed the 'port naming template' on the device to [ifDesc] [ifAlias] and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Created on Feb 28, 2013 4:57:14 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.