What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What's the best way to use notifications in PRTG's Libraries?

Votes:

I would like to trigger notifications when specific thresholds / limits are breached for my disk space and CPU sensors.

Thisw orks well for State Triggers - but when I have a Disk or CPU Sensor in the Library - I cannot get the notification to work. For a disk sensor the Primary Channel is " Free Space C: % " . Currently the value sits at 73% - So I created a threshold trigger in the library to be Less than 90, but it is not sending the notification. If I setup the notification directly on the sensor, it gives more options than just Primary Channel - I can select more specific options like Free Bytes and Percentage - and this notification works OK. Can you please let me know where I am going wrong?

What's best practice to set up notifications with Libraries?

best-practice cpu disk-space help libraries library notfications prtg threshold

Created on Feb 22, 2013 12:22:51 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 22, 2013 12:25:34 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Set up Notification Triggers in PRTG Libraries for Disk Space and Other Sensors

If you use THRESHOLD triggers in libraries, you can only set a threshold for the PRIMARY channel of each sensor in your library. This is because we cannot know which sensors you will add to your library, but what we do know is that each sensor has at least a primary channel.

In your case, I would suggest the following: For all of your disk space sensors set a limit in the sensors' settings and configure the sensor, so it changes its status to WARNING status once a threshold (limit) is breached.

In the library, you can then use a STATE trigger (state: Warning) to trigger your notifications accordingly.

For disk space sensors you can either set the limit in the SETTINGS tab (it is then valid for all channels, i.e. all disks that this sensor monitors). Or you edit limits for each channel individually in the CHANNELS tab of your disk space sensors. For both options, there is also multi-edit available.

For CPU sensors, like for all other sensors except disk space sensors, the limits are available in the CHANNELS tab only. There is also multi-edit available.

For detailed information, please see the user manual at:

Created on Feb 22, 2013 12:25:12 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 22, 2013 1:20:28 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.