What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I add additional channels to an http content sensor?

Votes:

I have been asked to monitor the output from a web server. A script is running and outputting 8 channels of data, each within it's own set of [].

I have created content sensors before however they only captured 1 channel.

I have followed the link below and attempted to set up a sensor with multiple channels however when I look at the sensor settings I do not get an option to select the number of channels.

https://www.it.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/1023-how-can-i-remotely-monitor-the-free-disk-space-on-an-php-enabled-server-with-prtg

I've been through the process numerous times, I've checked the PRTG options in case this option has been switched off but so far I've drawn a blank. The manual

Does anyone have any information which may help me?

Thanks

channel http-content-sensor prtg

Created on May 19, 2010 10:43:16 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You must define the number of channels in the sensor settings when adding the sensor. This field is only available when adding the sensor, not when editing the same.

Please add the sensor anew, defining the actual number of values your script provides in the Number of channels field. Each value will then be displayed in a single channel.

Created on May 19, 2010 11:01:47 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on May 26, 2010 2:54:27 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi Paessler,

Can this be looked into as a development request?

I ask as we have a number of new services coming online and adding them to the current sensor make more sense then to delete an recreate, losing all the history of the old sensor.

Created on Jun 6, 2014 10:00:18 AM

Votes:

Matthew, we can put this on the wishlist, but please bear in mind that such changes often cause problems with the consistency in the sensor results (or understanding them). We recommend to instead pause the old sensor (then it won't be accounted against the license) and use a new one instead.

Created on Jun 9, 2014 8:04:52 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'd also like to see the ability to edit the number of channels to an existing sensor. I don't see how adding a new sensor (to add some more channels) would solve the problem (or rather how the all important sensor history would not be lost in doing so).

Created on Mar 3, 2015 2:59:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.