What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Content Sensor is not actual

Votes:

I use an filecontentsensor on an Windows 2008 networtshare to montior an mailserver. I got not everytime actial values. Whe I show to the file the content is different to the sensor. Update the sensor dos not change this. If I go to the mailserver an kill the SMB Session by "net session /Delete" all ist fine until any hours.. At 0:00 the mailserver renames the file and recreate the file.

is there an problem or an workaround?

Matthias

content file prtg sensor smb windowsshare

Created on Feb 26, 2013 7:46:11 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this appears to be some odditiy in the SMB-Share/Session. Would there be an option to access the target file without going over the SMB-Share? Maybe if its a local folder on a Windows based PC, with a Remote Probe running on it?

best regards.

Created on Feb 26, 2013 1:47:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, the target is not local. Why this happens? Ist the symptom related to the Host or to the client?

Created on Feb 26, 2013 2:10:09 PM

Votes:

That's very hard to say. Would a scheduled task (in Windows) be possible, that copies the file to the PRTG Host every minute or every 5 minutes, so that the File-Content sensor can check it locally?

Created on Feb 26, 2013 5:29:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That´s hard to do, because I know why but our other admins not...

I do doc this workaround - Its, not fine, but it works...

Created on Feb 27, 2013 8:50:00 AM

Votes:

But since one hour, the new sensor dos not update the values, but the filecontent has been changed.

Now i have the logfiles local on the probe and copy them by the mailserver every 5 minutes to the probe. Update the sensor dos nothing. Only when I change sensorsettings, then the value will be updated one time. (switch from regex to text or to regex)

Created on Feb 27, 2013 10:37:42 AM

Votes:

None of the filecontentsensors has changed since they scan local files on the probe. I have crosschecked, the filecontent has changed.

Created on Feb 27, 2013 2:29:40 PM

Votes:

I have checked.... The timestamp of the logfiles is everytime 00:00 because the will be recreated at 00:00. If I don´t copy the files and transfer them via c:>type file.log >server/share/file1.log all works fine because the hase an changedate every time. Is there an caching issue?

Created on Feb 27, 2013 2:40:21 PM

Votes:

The sensor does not cache files. This has to be a cache then on Windows level.

Created on Feb 27, 2013 2:53:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Solved - for me - I have modified my linuxscript an add this two lines

printf("\n")
echo PAESSHEND

Since this modificatoins the sensor runs without any problems.

Matthias

Created on Mar 12, 2013 11:25:30 AM

Last change on Mar 12, 2013 4:10:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.