What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Backup Exec SNMP

Votes:

Hi,

we are looking to monitor our backup exec jobs via PRTG using SNMP, but was wondering if anyone could advise the best way to go about doing this.

backup prtg snmp

Created on May 19, 2010 5:33:34 PM

Last change on May 31, 2010 8:02:29 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello.

BE is capable of many forms of notification including SNMP, but I'm not sure why you'd consider this as an option on top of or before considering the other options (SMTP, MAPI, SMS/TXT, PAGER, etc.). Nonetheless, it's a pretty straightforward process (if you have some level of experience with all three products). You didn't mention what version of BE and Windows so I'll assume you're not working on dinosaur products.

You'll need to install the SNMP System Service on the Windows Server that runs BE and configure accordingly (assuming you are using BE v12.x or higher): http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315587.htm

NOTE: In the last step of #1, the trap destination is the PRTG probe device(s).

Once that's completed, you need to add the SNMP TRAP RECEIVER sensor to the one or more systems running PRTG (only those systems designated as a probe device are capable of receiving SNMP traps).

NOTE: You'll want to consider the many OIDs that BE is capable of using; you can find these in the BE Help utility or via the Internet (too many to include here).

As with anything, be sure you test the results. Not knowing how big the environment is there, if IT responsibilities are segregated, be sure to speak with your networking staff before proceeding as they may prohibit such traffic (don't ask me why).

Good luck.

Created on May 20, 2010 2:23:36 AM

Votes:

In Backup Exec, you can turn on an option to write to the Windows Event Log as well.

You could then use a WMI Eventlog sensor to check for the specific Backup Exec events.

Created on May 25, 2010 1:09:19 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 31, 2010 8:03:56 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Long time ago, but still interesting...

Ist there a possibility, to alert, if there is no event in the eventlog (no backup job was running etc.)

Created on Jul 3, 2012 6:15:29 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid only with the solution from the following article: How can I check the Windows Event log using extended filter options?

Created on Jul 4, 2012 12:57:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.