What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

remote probe cannot read 64bit oracle client tnsnames at 64bit Windows

Votes:

I have a remote probe running on 64bit W2008. remote probe runs as 32bit so it cant read the 64bit oracle client tnsnames. Is there anyway to define tnsnames.ora for the remote probe. Once i try to execute oracle sensor it gives (Could not connect to database: NET: Invalid SID ) while tns names clearly configured and working on 64bit envirement. I have set the tns_admin environment variables but no luck thanks

64bit oracle remote-probe

Created on Feb 28, 2013 6:57:23 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

I am monitoring Oracle using the Oracle SQL sensor from a probe running Windows 2008 R2 without any issues. I haven't installed an Oracle client on the probe either.

Created on Feb 28, 2013 5:43:01 PM

Votes:

You right, I just confused other monitoring software principles. Need to create device for each oracle sensor.

Created on Mar 1, 2013 10:48:36 AM

Votes:

So did you got that working?

Created on Mar 1, 2013 1:05:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, they are working on different as different device sensor now.

I was thinking to add all oracle sensors to dummy device device by using tnsnames.ora installed on probe itself(old habit from other monitoring systems), Actually this could be different sensor type instead of creating device for each tns entry(like http sensors, connection string can be entered instead of SID name only).

Created on Mar 1, 2013 1:30:02 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.