What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Content Sensor not finding text in log

Votes:

When I use the File Content Sensor from PRTG, asking it to search a local file for any search string, it always returns 0 matches and not found.

If I go to command prompt on the probe, navigate to the Sensor System folder and run the LogFileReader with required switches, it finds matches and output everytime.

Why is this? I am not specifying a user when I manually run it, so I assume it is running as my user.

content file file-content-sensor sensor

Created on Feb 28, 2013 6:35:19 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

it's probably the difference of accounts here, if the Probe Service is still running under LOCAL SYSTEM-Account.

best regards.

Created on Mar 1, 2013 1:51:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Correct it is running under local system account. I've even moved the log file to the local system the Probe is running on and it still doesn't return known matches.

I don't see anyway to run the File Content Sensor under different credentials as is. I know that running the EXE the sensor uses I can define different creds there.

Created on Mar 1, 2013 1:54:35 PM

Votes:

Then please try running the Probe Service under your account instead of the Local System.

Created on Mar 1, 2013 5:59:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Check the encoding of the file you will monitor.PRTG will get the wrong result if it does not support the file encoding.I tested the UTF-8 is ok.And the best way is that check the encoding of an existing file with right monitor result.

Created on Sep 14, 2017 1:38:45 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.