What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setting up a Boolean SNMP sensor

Votes:

I am trying to setup a sensor that lets me know if a port on my router is active.

I have the oid for each port and the value returned is either 1 (there is no cable plugged in) or 2 (there is a cable plugged in).

I want to use this to alert me if someone at a remote location plugs into the spare ports on my router.

Because I use some ports and not others, some ports need to be configured so that if the status goes from 2 to 1 (someone unplugged one of my cables) it will alert.

Other ports that I am not using need to be configured so that if the status goes from 1 to 2 (someone jacked into my router) I get an alert.

I am very new to PRTG and am so far impressed with it.

boolean custom-sensor snmp

Created on Mar 1, 2013 7:03:55 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

you can do this with the Lookups in PRTG as of version 13.1.2, to translate the numbers into string-messages and sensor states. Or use the Warning/Error-Limits in the Channel Settings of the sensor.

best regards.

Created on Mar 4, 2013 1:56:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.