What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No output for "Other" traffic in streamlog folder

Votes:

I am running PRTG version 12.4.4.3099 on a Windows 2008 R2 server. I have defined a custom NetFlow v9 sensor for data coming from a cisco 2911 router. The sensor works fine overall. I have a number of tcp and udp ports defined, plus icmp. I also have the standard "other tcp" and "other udp" catchalls.

The problem is that I am seeing a large amount of traffic in the toplist categorized as "Other". To troubleshoot I went into the sensor settings and enabled "Log Stream Data to Disk - Only for the 'Other' channel." Now when I go to \programdata\paessler\prtg network monitor\streamlog" I see a new "stream sensor" file has been created, but the file contains only one line - the column headers. There is no data being logged there. But the sensor's Toplist shows that there have been several megabytes of data categotized as "Other" since I turned on Stream Logging. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Thanks, -Mat

custom other streamdata

Created on Mar 4, 2013 3:22:34 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Matt,

we actually do have a KB-article for exactly this question, please see: What does the 'other'-entry in my TopConnections/TopTalkers mean?

best regards.

Created on Mar 4, 2013 6:11:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, that is what I needed to know. Thanks.

-Mat

Created on Mar 5, 2013 3:25:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.