What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Trap receiver: setup trouble

Votes:

Hi,

This is my first attempt to work with the SNMP trap receiver probe, so it's probably a configuration problem but I coudn't get it to work.

I Installed several SNMP trap receiver probes on my PRTG Local Probe Device with different OID's (to trap Coldstart, Warmstart, Auth Failure, Configuration change, etc... on my Cisco devices). To test my config, I enabled the change notification on one of my Cisco switch and I also used a trap sender tool. All traps where generated successfully and I can monitor them on a wireshark capture running on the PRTG node. I tried V1, v2c and V3 traps, my community string is setup correctly but none of my sensors are triggered.

Can you help me on that. Thanks in advance

prtg snmp trap-receiver

Created on Mar 5, 2013 8:57:15 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
please note that the PRTG Trap Receiver sensor does, at the moment, only support SNMP v1 and non-Enterprise OIDs. If you are in need of Enterprise OIDs you will have to use the variable bindings of the same.
Additional you might want to have a look at this article about the limitations of the sensor.
We are currently working on a complete rewrite of the SNMP Trap/Syslog receiver subsystem but no release date has been determined yet.
Best regards

Created on Mar 5, 2013 1:37:53 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, i would very much look forward to a revamped SNMP Trap receiver, how is progress going with the new version? When will it be ready? Currently i'm using HP SIM to monitor Proliant Hardware, i like the new Proliant sensors, but can't stop using HP SIM until you have better support for SNMP traps.

Created on Aug 3, 2013 2:14:01 AM

Votes:

We're making good headway with the new brand of sensors, but I'm afraid we still cannot tell with certainty when the same will be availalbe. It is highly likely they will be included in a near-future release of the Canary channel and then work their way up to the Stable channel. At the moment, we still need to ask you to please bear with us, we are trying to get these sensors out as soon as possible, but do want to ensure that they work properly when available.

Created on Aug 5, 2013 11:36:57 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.