What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why shut ports in cisco mds are identified as down ?

Votes:

Hello, I have a number of Cisco MDS devices, some ports are in shut mode and PRTG recognize them as Down, how can i overcome it?

Thank you, yaron

cisco mds prtg12

Created on Mar 5, 2013 9:44:25 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The error state is due to channel limits. There are limits available via snmp, that are used by the sensor as default value. If you do not want some of those values, to cause an alarm if they don't fall within the limits, you can manually deactivate the limit for this channel.

Please go to the "channel limits" tab and chose the channel "Current 26058" from the list. Now deactivate the channel limits in the settings below and save your changes. You will need to do this for every channel. We know, that this needs a lot of clicks, but you hopefully understand, that prtg needs to check for the limits, that are provided by the device.

Created on Mar 7, 2013 4:44:59 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I please ask to upload some screenshots illustrating the issue?

best regards.

Created on Mar 5, 2013 5:36:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Attached screenshots

Capture1

Thank you

Created on Mar 6, 2013 8:42:10 AM

Last change on Mar 6, 2013 3:55:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's not a port sensor I'm afraid. It's a System Health Sensor which is in legitimate error state, due to a too low power current.

Created on Mar 6, 2013 2:51:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello again, I didnt say its a port sensor but it shows low current on each port which is in shut mode and Vice Versa. Attched few examples: Capture1

Capture2

Created on Mar 7, 2013 9:33:59 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The error state is due to channel limits. There are limits available via snmp, that are used by the sensor as default value. If you do not want some of those values, to cause an alarm if they don't fall within the limits, you can manually deactivate the limit for this channel.

Please go to the "channel limits" tab and chose the channel "Current 26058" from the list. Now deactivate the channel limits in the settings below and save your changes. You will need to do this for every channel. We know, that this needs a lot of clicks, but you hopefully understand, that prtg needs to check for the limits, that are provided by the device.

Created on Mar 7, 2013 4:44:59 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

OK, thank you very much.

Created on Mar 10, 2013 11:26:58 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.