What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Has anyone been able to use the tracert sensor and set up a custom script to output the results of t

Votes:

I am attempting to not only monitor the number of hops, but also the IP addresses that are contained within. i know this is probably going to be a custom script but would like a little guidance in how this would be facilitated.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards

James

custom-sensor prtg tracert

Created on Mar 7, 2013 12:55:24 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi James,

as prtg needs numeric results to be processed as values for the channels the only way to implement this will be to concatenate the ip-addresses into a string and return this string as the result-text of the custom sensor.

This string will be displayed in PRTG as 'Last Message' but keep in mind that there is no way to trigger a notification on a change and you don't have historic data for the 'Last Message'-value.

Kind regards...

Created on Mar 7, 2013 3:10:02 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi James,

The sensor can not only check the number of hops, but also the route.

In the sensors settings page you can choose if the sensor should not only check the number of hops, but also the route by setting the "If route changes" option to warning or error. If one of the IP addresses in the route changes (compared to the last run of the sensor) the sensor will go into a warning or down state.

Note: in this case the warning or error is only visible until the next run of the sensor as by then the route will not have changed compared to the previous run.

Regards,

Created on Mar 7, 2013 3:20:37 PM

Votes:

Hi, thank you for your replies

Can you elaborate on "as prtg needs numeric results to be processed as values for the channels the only way to implement this will be to concatenate the ip-addresses into a string and return this string as the result-text of the custom sensor. " for me please.

I understand in theory what you mean, but am i right in thinking i would need a custom sensor to run the tracert cmd and save the results to the logs of the probe?

ideally all i need is the hops in IP format piped to .txt once an hour?

Regards

James

Created on Mar 7, 2013 3:50:09 PM

Votes:

Hello, James. Were you able to create a custom sensor for traceroute? I am also trying to create one. Please let me know.

Created on Jul 2, 2013 3:02:07 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.