What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Archive Event Log

Votes:

I need to keep the windows event log for a minimum of 365 days. Can PRTG sensor do that? Also, the two event log sensors, WMI and API, do it get the last event since the sensor ran? Meaning if 100 events occurred, will the sensor return on the count and the very last event description? I will need all the events that has occurred and be able to archive them.

Please advise.

scott

api event log wmi

Created on Mar 7, 2013 9:55:47 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
basically it is possible to archive the event logs with PRTG but there can be some issues with this. You will have to set a higher value for the Logfile Records to be kept in Setup |System & Website in section Data Purging Limits but this might drastically slow down the PRTG web interface.
Both Event Log Sensors will show the Events which occurred since the last scan so it is basically a delta sensor which gathers all events from the last to the present scan.
In conclusion I would not use the Event Log Sensor for archiving the same as the sensor is not intended for this.
Best regards

Created on Mar 8, 2013 1:05:34 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How can I see all the events since the last scan to the present scan? I want to make sure I don't miss any events. So far, I can only see the last event of the present scan. Please elaborate.

thanks,

scott

Created on Mar 8, 2013 4:50:53 PM

Votes:

Hello,

at the moment it is not possible to see a list of events, sorry.

Created on Mar 11, 2013 9:36:30 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.