What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP sensors loosing communications with sensors

Votes:

A few of our servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 stop responding to snmp queries. I am monitoring CPU, Mem, Disk, Network, Uptime using snmp and they all have stopped at the same time, on different occasions at different times on different servers. The only recovery seems to be rebooting which isn't acceptable. Any ideas on what troubleshooting steps may provide an answer to this issue? I have tried stopping the snmp service on these servers which appears to happen eventually but it doesn't fix the problem. Our backups are failing also when this occurs.

communication sensor snmp

Created on Mar 8, 2013 10:02:33 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

which exact errors do you get then on the sensors? Could you maybe please upload or send in some screenshots showing the exact error messaged on the sensors (on the "Overview"-Tab)? If the sensors are not in error-state right now, you can also check the "Log"-Tab of the sensor, to view previous error-messages.
May I ask you to please use our SNMP Tester, preferably the new betaversion 8 of the Tester 5, to perform a "Scan available standard interfaces" against the target device, when its sensors are in this error state? Which results do you get in the Tester?

best regards.

Created on Mar 11, 2013 1:05:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.