What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Temperature of Workstation

Votes:

Hi,

a customer "monitors" the tempearture of workstations (CPUs & RAMs) with the free tool SpeedFan. (The tool has to run on every workstation and the monitoring cannot be centralized.)

How can I query the temperature-value (e.g. hourly) with prtg in a similar way?

monitoring speedfan temperature

Created on Mar 13, 2013 10:23:36 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I have found a way to graph values from hardware sensors, but it doesn't use SpeedFan, though. Instead it uses Open Hardware Monitor and WMI.

I have written a small guide on how you can write custom sensors for Open Hardware Monitor, with some examples on how to implement them in PRTG.

Some example scripts showing how to create channels with data values coming from OHM:

And finally an example sensor script to show a practical implementation of the scripts linked above:

Created on May 6, 2015 3:00:08 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid this might not easily be possible with PRTG. Speedfan directly looks at the hardware parameters, something PRTG can't remotely do. If there are HP / Dell Servers you could try using the according health-Sensors. But otherwise, this might not be possible with PRTG. Sorry.

best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2013 5:30:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I have found a way to graph values from hardware sensors, but it doesn't use SpeedFan, though. Instead it uses Open Hardware Monitor and WMI.

I have written a small guide on how you can write custom sensors for Open Hardware Monitor, with some examples on how to implement them in PRTG.

Some example scripts showing how to create channels with data values coming from OHM:

And finally an example sensor script to show a practical implementation of the scripts linked above:

Created on May 6, 2015 3:00:08 PM

Votes:

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for sharing this with the community, nice job!

Created on May 7, 2015 4:47:25 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.