What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I ping a MAC address?

Votes:

My DECT transmitter gets its IP / DHCP address from a PABX. As the IP address does change over time, I cannot use a normal ping sensor to monitor if it is up.

Knowing the MAC address, how can I monitor if this DECT transmitter is up?

dhcp mac-address ping

Created on Mar 17, 2013 3:06:31 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF.PingMacAddress

Strictly spoken, it is not possible to ping a MAC address as ICMP (ping) and MAC use different layers of the OSI model.

But, there is a workaround!

Custom Sensor PTF.PingMacAddress uses the ARP table to lookup the IP address that is owned by the MAC address. If there is no ARP entry, an ARP request package is sent to the DHCP range. The IP that responds with the correct MAC address is pinged and its response time is returned.

The sensor uses the following parameters:

-m=MAC -s=DHCPStart -e=DHCPEnd

-m=   The MAC address to ping.
-s=   The start address of the DHCP range.
-i=   The end address of the DHCP range.

and can be downloaded here.

Note: any switches and routers between probe and device need to support layer 2 of the OSI model.

Created on Mar 18, 2013 8:35:42 AM

Last change on Sep 19, 2013 2:40:28 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hi, how does this work, I have found the parameters below:

-m=MAC -s=DHCPStart -e=DHCPEnd

I assume if I would like to use the mac address ping then the querry would be as follows:

-m=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Created on Jul 1, 2021 7:18:27 AM

Votes:

Please start by running the .exe with its parameters from a command prompt. This will produce some extra output that might help you in getting the parameters right.

Created on Jul 1, 2021 1:23:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.