What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe on Non-Domain Server

Votes:

I have a server that we monitor remotely which is not on the domain.

The monitoring is not particularly stable at the best of times - its had a PE055 error for the past 15hours and a reboot hasnt fixed it.

Can we install a remote probe to the server even though it is not on the domain and use that to make the monitoring more stable?

Thanks Rob

prtg13 remote-probe wmi

Created on Mar 20, 2013 12:43:35 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Provided that the server that you are trying to monitor is on the same network, this should not be a problem. When connecting the remote probe, just use the IP address for the Master Node so that there aren't any issues with DNS.

Created on Mar 20, 2013 4:00:40 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, its not on the same network...

The issue has semi-resolved itself, and now it goes from working to not working for periods of hours at a time.

The odd thing is, that it only affects certain probes: Memory Disk

But yet, the CPU probe will stay up and running collecting data as normal.

I've configured an auto-acknowledge task for this device and stopped it sending email alerts regarding the sensors for Memory and Disk as I was receiving them far too often.

Created on Apr 2, 2013 9:17:23 AM

Votes:

Please try and install a remote probe on the server that you are trying to monitor and see if that solves the connectivity problem.

Remote Probe Setup

Created on Apr 2, 2013 2:01:14 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.