What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Performance Counter error 0xB0000004

Votes:

On March 20th 2013 I upgraded to PRTG Network Monitor 13.1.1.1182. Starting the next day I started getting the following error on a sensor that has existed for months without any problems. The error is "Could not log in using the specified credentials. Please make sure they are not only valid for the target system, but for the probe system aswell. (Performance Counter error 0xB0000004)". I have searched the KB for this error number to no avail. I have tried rebooting both the probe server as well as the server that is giving this error. It just seems very coincidental that this started just after upgrading to a new version. The previous version before the upgrade was 12.4.6.3342.

0xb0000004 error wmi

Created on Mar 26, 2013 7:17:50 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
please see this article which is addressing this topic.
Best regards

Created on Mar 26, 2013 7:22:18 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 2, 2019 9:37:17 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply. I do not believe this is not a problem with credentials (as the error suggests) because the sensor works half the time. If this were a problem with the credentials would it not fail consistently and never work? This sensor goes up and down constantly (5-10 times per day in the past week). Why do the credentials work for a few hours, then fail for an hour or so, then come back up?

Created on Mar 26, 2013 7:41:38 PM

Votes:

Please try switching the primary monitoring method to WMI only, as mentioned in the before linked article. Does the sensor work then or do you get an error message? If you get an error message, which precise?

Created on Mar 27, 2013 7:07:38 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.