What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Errors when running oracle queries

Votes:

I have a number of oracle sensors configured that have been working for a period of time. This morning at 03:30 my time the sensors started reporting timeout errors. If I run the query manually from the server the query result is correct. If I create the sensors on different probes still get the timeout error.

oracle prtg sensor

Created on May 26, 2010 4:05:59 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for your help the Oracle client on the server was somehow corrupted. The local administrator and domain administrators were still able to run queries but the domain user that we were using to run the tests was not able to access the oracle client.

The upshot was I reinstalled the Oracle client and all is now running OK.

Thanks for your help.

Created on May 26, 2010 11:46:43 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

restart the PRTG services. Does that bring the sensors back to normal?

Created on May 26, 2010 7:52:06 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Check the SQL statements with the same user you used manually on the SQL server. Probably the user rights were changed?! Otherwise check with ODBC from same machine as the probe is runnning on to verify if you can connect there.

Created on May 26, 2010 8:54:14 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for your help the Oracle client on the server was somehow corrupted. The local administrator and domain administrators were still able to run queries but the domain user that we were using to run the tests was not able to access the oracle client.

The upshot was I reinstalled the Oracle client and all is now running OK.

Thanks for your help.

Created on May 26, 2010 11:46:43 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.